11th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 2nd SESSION
Summary of the 8th Sitting of the 2nd Session of the 11th Republican Parliament
(Tuesday January 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The President/Vice-President
- Temporary Appointement to the Senate: Mr. Raphael Cumberbatch was appointed to temporarily replace Sen. Daniel Solomon.
Contributions by: Sen. Raphael Cumberbatch [Opposition Senator (Temporary)]
- 17 Papers Laid: 17 Papers were laid. See the Supplemental Order Paper for details.
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- Three Questions: Three questions qualify for oral answer. One question (13) was answered. See Order Paper for details.
Contributions by: Hon. Fitzgerald Hinds, MP [Laventille West] [Minister of Public Utilities]
Requests For Leave To Move The Adjournment Of The House On Definite Matters Of Urgent Public Importance
- One Matter Raised: One Matter was raised by Sen. Gerald Ramdeen on the failure of the Government to deal with crime. The President was not satisfied that the matter qualified for debate and the motion was denied.
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- The Miscellaneous Provisions (Marriage) Bill, 2016: Debate resumed from January 11, 2017 on the Miscellaneous Provisions (Marriage) Bill, 2016. Sen. Nadine Stewart was first to contribute on this day, followed by Sen. Wade Mark and Sen. Dr. Dhanayshar Mahabir. Ten Senators made contributions on this day (20 over the course of two days) before the Attorney General rose to conclude. The House then resolved into Committee to consider the Bill clause by clause. The Bill was considered and passed with amendments, including the removal of the need for a special majority. It was then read a third time and passed by a margin of 23 for, none against and five abstentions.
Contributions by: Sen. Nadine Stewart [Government Senator], Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. Dr. Dhanayshar Mahabir [Independent Senator], Sen. the Hon. Jennifer Baptiste-Primus [Minister of Labour and Small Enterprise Development], Sen. Khadijah Ameen [Opposition Senator], Sen. David Small [Independent Senator], Sen. Avinash Singh [Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries], Sen. Paul Richards [Independent Senator], Sen. Alisha Romano [Government Senator (Temporary)], Sen. Stephen Creese [Independent Senator], Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP [San Fernando West] [Attorney General]
Matter On The Adjournment
- One Matter: One matter was raised on the Motion for the adjournment of the Senate by Sen. H.R. Ian Roach.
- The Senate adjourns to Tuesday January 24, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.: At the next sitting, debate is expected on a Finance (Variation of Appropriation) Bill.