11th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 3rd SESSION
Summary of the 26th Sitting of the 3rd Session of the 11th Republican Parliament
(Friday May 18, 2018 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The President/Vice-President
- Leave of Absence: Leave of absence was granted to Sen. the Hon. Paula Gopee-Scoon, who is out of the country and Sen. Daniel Dookie, who is ill. Ms. Alisha Romano and Ms. Ayanna Lewis were appointed temporary Senators in their place.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Christine Kangaloo [President of the Senate]
Oath Of Allegiance Of A New Member
- Temporary Senators: Temporary Senators Ms. Alisha Romano and Ms. Ayanna Lewis took the oath of allegiance.
Contributions by: Sen. Alisha Romano [Government Senator (Temporary)], , MP
Presentation Of Reports From Select Committees
- One Report: One Report was presented.
Contributions by: Sen. Khadijah Ameen [Opposition Senator]
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- Four Questions on Notice: Four questions qualified for oral answer. Question #111 was deferred.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Hon. Colm Imbert, MP [Diego Martin North/East] [Minister of Finance]
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- The Insurance Bill, 2016: The Minister of Finance moved the second reading of The Insurance Bill, 2016. Debate began on this Bill, following which, the Bill was committed to a Committee of the Whole Senate for consideration on a clause by clause basis. The Bill was read a third time and passed, without amendments.
Contributions by: Hon. Colm Imbert, MP [Diego Martin North/East] [Minister of Finance], Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. Dr. Dhanayshar Mahabir [Independent Senator], Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat [Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries], Sen. Taharqa Obika [Opposition Senator], Sen. Taurel Shrikissoon [Independent Senator], Sen. Dr. Lester Henry [Government Senator], Sen. Sean Sobers [Opposition Senator (Temporary)], Sen. Ronald Duke [Independent Senator (Temporary)], Sen. the Hon. Allyson West [Minister in the Ministry of Finance]
Matter On The Adjournment
- Two Matters: Sen. Wade Mark raised a matter on the adjournment regarding the accumulated vacation leave by the current Acting Commissioner of Police. The Minister of National Security responded.
Sen. Khadijah Ameen raised a matter regarding the failure of the Government to appoint persons to the Board of Management of the Children's Life Fund. The Minister of Health responded.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Hon. Maj. Gen. Edmund Dillon, MP [Point Fortin] [Minister of National Security], Sen. Khadijah Ameen [Opposition Senator], Hon. Terrence Deyalsingh, MP [St. Joseph] [Minister of Health]
- The Senate adjourned to Monday May 21, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.: The Sitting concluded at 8:34 p.m. The Senate adjourned to Monday May 21, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.