11th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 5th SESSION
Summary of the 8th Sitting of the 5th Session of the 11th Republican Parliament
(Wednesday December 4, 2019 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The President/Vice-President
- Leave of absence: Leave of absence was granted to Sen. the Hon. Franklin Khan, Sen. the Hon. Dennis Moses and Sen. the Hon. Allyson West, who are out of the country. Mr. Harvey Borris, Mr. Ndale Young and Mr. Wayne Inniss were appointed temporary senators in their place.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Christine Kangaloo [President of the Senate]
Oath Of Allegiance Of A New Member
- Temporary Senators: Temporary Senators Harvey Borris, Ndale Young and Wayne Inniss took the oath of allegiance.
Contributions by: Sen. Harvey Borris [Government Senator (Temporary)], Sen. Ndale Young [Government Senator (Temporary)], Sen. Wayne Inniss, MP [Government Senator (Temporary)]
Presentation Of Reports From Select Committees
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- Three Questions on Notice: Three questions qualified for oral answer. Question #11 was deferred for two weeks.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat [Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries]
Requests For Leave To Move The Adjournment Of The House On Definite Matters Of Urgent Public Importance
- One Request: Sen. Wade Mark made a request for leave to move the adjournment of the House on a definite matter of urgent public importance namely the failure of the Government to broker an agreement between Paria Fuel Trading Company Limited and Unipet Company Limited. The President of the Senate was not satisfied that the matter qualified under this Standing Order.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator]
- Apology from Sen. Taharqa Obika: Opposition Senator Taharqa Obika offered an apology to the Senate following the events of the last Sitting and further committed to uphold the sanctity of the House.
Contributions by: Sen. Taharqa Obika [Opposition Senator]
Motions Relating To The Business Or Sittings Of The House And Moved By A Minister Or Parliamentary Secretary
- Extension to SSC: Acting Leader of Government Business, Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat, moved a motion that the Special Select Committee appointed to consider and report on the Evidence (Amendment) Bill, 2019 be granted an extension to December 31, 2019 in order for the Committee to complete its work and present a final report. The motion was approved.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat [Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries]
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- The Miscellaneous Provisions (Law Enforcement Officers) Bill, 2019: The Attorney General, Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP, moved the second reading of The Miscellaneous Provisions (Law Enforcement Officers) Bill, 2019. Debate began on the Bill. Following the debate, the Bill was committed to the Committee of the Whole for consideration clause by clause. The Bill was read a third time and passed, with amendments.
Contributions by: Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP [San Fernando West] [Attorney General], Sen. Sean Sobers [Opposition Senator], Sen. Amrita Deonarine [Independent Senator], Hon. Stuart Young, MP [Port-of-Spain North/St. Ann's West] [Minister of National Security and Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister], Sen. Saddam Hosein [Opposition Senator], Sen. Paul Richards [Independent Senator], Sen. the Hon. Donna Cox [Minister of Communications], Sen. Anita Haynes [Opposition Senator], Sen. Hazel Thompson-Ahye [Independent Senator], Sen. Dr. Varma Deyalsingh [Independent Senator]
- The Senate adjourned to a date to be fixed: The Sitting concluded at 9:32 p.m. The Senate adjourned to a date to be fixed.