11th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 5th SESSION
Summary of the 17th Sitting of the 5th Session of the 11th Republican Parliament
(Tuesday February 11, 2020 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The President/Vice-President
- Leave of absence: Leave of absence was granted to Sen. Hazel Thompson-Ahye, who is out of the country. Ms. Zola Phillips was appointed temporary Senator in her absence.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Christine Kangaloo [President of the Senate]
Oath Of Allegiance Of A New Member
- Temporary Senator: Temporary Senator Zola Phillips took the oath of allegiance.
Contributions by: Sen. Zola Phillips [Independent Senator (Temporary)]
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- The Interception of Communications (Amendment) Bill, 2020: The Attorney General, Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP, moved the second reading of the The Interception of Communications (Amendment) Bill, 2020. Debate began on the bill.
Contributions by: Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP [San Fernando West] [Attorney General], Sen. Sean Sobers [Opposition Senator], Sen. Charrise Seepersad [Independent Senator], Hon. Stuart Young, MP [Port-of-Spain North/St. Ann's West] [Minister of National Security and Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister], Sen. Saddam Hosein [Opposition Senator], Sen. Anthony Vieira [Independent Senator], Sen. Deoroop Teemal [Independent Senator]
Matter On The Adjournment
- Two Matters: Sen. Taharqa Obika raised a matter on the adjournment namely the failure of the Government to take steps to secure a permanent site for the Fanny Village Government Primary School in Point Fortin. The minister of Education responded.
Sen. Wade Mark raised a matter namely the failure of the Government to take decisive action to halt the award of state contracts to gang leaders and other criminal elements located in Port of Spain and western areas of our country. Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat responded.
Contributions by: Sen. Taharqa Obika [Opposition Senator], Hon. Anthony Garcia, MP [Arima] [Minister of Education], Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat [Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries]
- The Senate adjourned to a date to be fixed: The Sitting concluded at 6:56 p.m. The Senate adjourned to a date to be fixed.